10 DIY Costume Ideas for Famous Literary Couples
If you are in need of a last-minute Halloween costume idea, here is a round-up of DIY costumes for famous couples from literature. From YA and Fantasy to Regency and American Classic, there's something for everyone! Enjoy!
1. Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)-- We are starting with a classic couple: Lizzie and Darcy! Ladies: Grab a floral print or soft flowy dress, dress gloves, and put your hair in an up-do with lots of curls. Gentlemen: Don a pair of tall boots, flip the collar up on your best suit jacket, and add a white handkerchief. Extra points for a top hat!
2. Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley (Harry Potter)-- Ron and Hermione are a cute and easy way to go for Halloween. Grab some Gryffindor gear and a couple wands, and you are good to go! A red-headed wig or hair spray, and some hair teasing for Hermione's bushy hair would be a great finishing touch!
3. Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe (Anne of Green Gables)-- Anne and Gilbert may possibly be my favorite literary couple of all time. For Anne: any long-sleeved, pastel dress with a white apron over it would work. Add a straw hat with "carrot" red braids, and a bundle of books, and you're ready to go! For Gilbert: Trousers, lace up shoes, a white shirt with a vest over it, and of course a paper boy hat to finish the look (think Newsies here). Check out this awesome tutorial for Anne and Gilbert DIY costumes.
*Full link for Anne costume photo here. Full link for Gilbert costume photo here.
4. Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler (Gone With the Wind)-- Okay, I know the picture above is two (adorable!) kids, but how easy would it be to recreate this as adults? Gentlemen- dress up in your most suave suit and add a mustache. Ladies- Any green or white dress (or green & white combo) with lace and frills, a fancy ladies' hat and gloves, and you're ready! A fun prop for this costume is an inside-out umbrella!
5. Aragorn and Arwen (Lord of the Rings)-- I love this costume idea. Anything from Lord of the Rings would be awesome, but what a great couple to dress up as! For Aragorn: Dress in all brown or black, add boots or a vest if you have them, and of course, a bow and arrows. Extra points for shoulder-length hair! For Arwen: A renaissance-style/medieval dress or any long-sleeved long dress with a belt, and a cloak with a hood if you can find or make one. Do your hair in loose curls and a half-up do, and add some silver jewelry. See this tutorial for extra Arwen ideas.
6. Nymphadora Tonks and Remus Lupin (Harry Potter)-- All right, I had to put another Harry Potter couple in here. Tonks and Lupin are adorable! And they are pretty easy costumes to put together. Tonks is kind of punk, so dress in a leather or black jacket, black leggings or pants, boots, open fingertip gloves, and of course- pink hair spray or wig. For Lupin, a lighter shade of suit jacket and trousers with a sweater (the shabbier the better), and a mustache. Don't forget your wands!
7. Westley and Buttercup (The Princess Bride)-- Another classic couple. We all know and love this movie, but it was originally a book, so yes, they are a literary couple! Ladies- a red dress and a gold sash or belt. Guys- all black, boots, and don't forget your mask and sword!
8. Ella of Frell and Prince Charmont (Ella Enchanted)-- Another adorable couple! Watch this tutorial for a great Ella Enchanted costume. For Prince Char: black or brown pants tucked into boots, a white shirt, and a vest. See this website for more details on a Prince Char costume.
*Photo of Ella and Char from Ella Enchanted film found here.
9. Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan (The Great Gatsby)-- What's more fun than dressing up as characters from the Roarin' 20s? Ladies: a flapper-style dress, long beads, feathers, and a headband. Gents: A suave suit, suspenders and hat. Check out this website for more details on 20's costumes.
10. Peeta and Katniss (The Hunger Games)-- And last, but not least, a popular YA dystopian couple that would super fun to dress up as! Think combat boots, leather, jackets, a backpack and/or bow and arrows. And ladies- don't forget the side braid for Katniss!
There you have it! It's fun to go back and remember our favorite classics, and the romantic couples from them. I hope this list inspires you with a great costume idea and gets you itching to find a new great read from our website! Have a happy and safe Halloween!